Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's in your head zombie?

Recently I have begun reading a book about the hundred years war that lasted from 1337 to 1453. It was fought between the English and French over the rightful claim to the french thrown. I just recently started it and in the early years of the wars, yes thats right, I said wars. It turns out that it was actually a period of on again off again wars, not one single war that lasted one hundred years. Anyway, apparently the invasion of Normandy on D-day was not as original as I was lead to believe. In reality, on "13 July 1346 the English armada landed at La Hogue, on the Cherbourg Peninsula." (pg. 58, The Hundred Years War by Desmond Seward). That is actually about five hundred and ninety-eight years before the 1944 invasion.

After reading that, it has made me wonder how many other "original" plans were actually taken from history. Unfortunately I am not that motivated to cross reference all of that, so I'm just going to guess a lot. When I learned this fact, I was reminded of a quote from one of my favorite movies, Endless Waltz, which actually has nothing to do with dancing believe it or not. Anyway, the quote that I remembered is, "History is much like an endless waltz, the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" Ignoring the obvious pessimistic view at the end of the quote, it basically means that history repeats itself.

please comment

No comments:

Post a Comment