Thursday, November 10, 2011

Shut up and Listen

I have learned that to learn something, you need to just listen. Humans have only one mouth but have two ears, so we can hear twice as much as we speak. Sometimes you learn things other people didn't want you to hear if you remain quiet, some people might consider that eavesdropping though. I believe eavesdropping is used with malicious intent, with no good intended, while just listening causes no harm. Yes you should ask questions to learn more, but as I said earlier, two ears one mouth. I myself have learned many a thing by just listening and not talking. Just listening lets whomever is talking to say what they need or want to say, or teach, and they wont lose their train of thought. Listening also helps relationships, or so I have been told. Instead of arguing with someone, I try to listen to their side, internalize it, think it over, and then explain my side if I still feel my side needs to be explained. Letting someone yell at you while you are just sitting there letting them yell actually helps you win arguments because it sometimes deflates them and they are easier to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment