Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

On this day we remember and pay homage to those who came before us and those who still fight the good fight. What I am talking about is the veterans who fought and continue to fight to preserve our freedom. I think some people have forgotten the meaning of veterans day, using it as another day to get drunk, "to honor our veterans and our fallen heroes." I'm sorry but that is BS, yes we celebrate Veterans Day to honor our veterans and those who died, but that does not give people permission to get s*** face drunk. It means we remember those who serve our country to protect freedom and democracy, dead or alive. I myself spent sometime earlier reflecting on the people I have had the great honor to know whom serve in our military, like JZ, a friend of mine from high school who has served at least one tour in Afghanistan (I can not believe I spelled that right, with no spell check). Even though my dad wont admit it, he is a vet as well, he may not have gone to Vietnam, but he did serve in the military during the Vietnam War. Both of my grandfathers, like I have said before, served in the military during World War Two. I have met people who served in the Korean War, and they tell stories that continue to fascinate me. Recently my father gave me a book about the Vietnam War, and I plan on reading it in the near future. Remember, without veterans, we wouldn't have a country to live in, so raise a glass, but not too many by yourself, and celebrate veterans and be sure to thank those that you know for their service. Thank you Veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment