Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

Ten years ago, on this day, a terrible tragedy occurred. Four airplanes were hijacked by an extremist Muslim group named al-Qaeda, a total of 19 of them were directly responsible for the hijacks, all of whom died. Two of the airplanes, American Airlines flight 11 and United Airlines flight 175, were flown into the World Trade Center, also known as the "Twin Towers" completely destroying it. About two hours after the planes crashed into the towers, both collapsed, causing massive amounts of debris and dust to spread outward in New York City, New York. As a result of this attack, 2,606 died in the towers and on the ground, 411 of which were emergency workers.



A third plane, American Airlines flight 77, was hijacked and flown into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia. A total of 125, fifty-five of which were military personnel, were killed in the crash.







A final fourth plane, United Airlines flight 93, was hijacked and crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after its passengers attempted to take control before it could hit its intended target, the Capitol building in Washington D.C. All 40 people, not including the hijackers, perished on the ill fated flight. In total, 2,977 people died, 246 of whom were the planes passengers, perished in this terrible tragedy.



When all of this happened, I was in band class in I think the sixth grade. We were let out early because of this and at the time, I was happy, because I didn't know what happened and I got out of school early. When I got home, my father was there and he explained what was happening, and I felt disgusted with myself for being happy. Unfortunately, I don't remember where my mother, sister, or brother were.

I would just like to ask you if you are reading this, to take a moment of silence for those who died on that fateful day ten years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment